Monday, August 14, 2023

Using friends as Beta Readers

 

Beware of the written word. 


Celebrating the 10th anniversary of my 1st book signing and 13 books sold worldwide; a look back on how my All American Success Story started.

 



 

Writers appreciate feedback on their work, no matter whether it's good or bad. Obviously good is better than bad, but constructive criticism can be helpful before publishing.

Asking a friend to read your work and keep an open mind can be risky.

 

I solicited a few friends to read my ‘work-in-progress’ and get their feed-back. Their responses were . . . a, brutally honest.

After reading their responses, I don’t think they’ll be my friends anymore.

 

Bob: Dude I’m glad you sent me a free copy of your book, because if I would have paid for this crap, I’d be in jail for murder right now.

James: Thank you for your honesty.


Tom: Another wannabe writer with no skills, exactly what the world needs more of.

James: I appreciate you taking the time to read it, thank you.

 

Alice: Your book is awesome, because reading it at night solved my insomnia problem.

James: That’s good to hear. At least it was good for something.

 

Irene: You kill a lot of women in your book! Were you trying to make a statement?

James: No, it’s just how I wanted the story to unfold.

 

Sam: I was very lost so, I stopped reading it and gave the book to my dog to play with.

James: Glad to hear your dog liked it.

 

Sue: I gave it to my neighbor to read, because I didn’t understand any of it. Please don’t write another book.

James: Sorry you didn’t like it.

 

Judy: You do know what an editor is, right?

James: Yes, but I couldn’t afford one.

 

Jack: Is there a way I can get my money back? I want a refund. You owe me $20.

James: I gave you the book! You didn’t pay anything.

Jack: So, I still feel that you owe me something for reading it!


Mary: Anyone that buys and reads your book deserves an award.

James: Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.

 

Janet: Who told you the book was good? And were they from this planet?

James: My wife like it.

 

John: Because we’re friends, I am going to be completely honest. It was a very good book.  NOT! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

James: Thanks John, with friends like you, who needs enemies.

 

Nancy: What was with all the dumb character names? Bob, Bill, Tom, Mary, or Pam sure would have made it a lot easier to understand.

James: I was trying to be unique.

 

Nancy: My husband said there is an opening where he works. He could put in a good word for you if you like.

James: Thanks, but I’m going to continue writing books.

 

Walt: I was out of toilet paper, but your free book came in real handy this morning, thanks dude!

James: *Sigh*

 


There you have it, the readers have spoken, my book will take the literary world by storm. I can’t wait to get started on my next book.


-jk-

No comments:

Post a Comment