Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Write Like You Mean It

 

“Write like you mean it” has been and forever shall be my motivation.

 

But what does that suggest, imply, or insinuate?

 

For instance; once something is said, it cannot be unsaid or unheard no matter the circumstances, and often is the case, it is precisely what the person wanted to say, even though they probably shouldn’t have.

However, when applied to writing, that is when the magic arises and the story becomes believable; writing precisely what you wanted to write without fear or having to apologize.   

 

Normally, writing like you mean it occurs during the first draft and writing your story is pure joy. The words dance onto the blank pages with unbridled delight.

 

What transpires next is a nightmare for most author’s – rewrites, corrections, plot enhancements, more character development and self-doubt – basically it is the apology for writing like you meant it. Readjusting your story is sometimes very painful.

 

Wherever you are, you are never alone



Then, the publication of the book. The words are printed and distributed for all to see and they cannot be unread once they are read.

 

My first book, I wrote like I meant it, and then revised it several times. I was very sad throughout the entire process, because it felt like I was draining the life from my story, the magic, and the soul. I was wrong. I had given birth to a story and all the pricking and poking I did on the original manuscript was like nurturing a child through life. Or like any invention – the first attempt is never the final product.

 

The lesson learned – writing like you mean it is the whole of the story, from the first word to the last, and from the first draft to publication.

 

Writing Like You Mean It is making your story the best it can possibly be.

 

Editors Note: I have spoken about this subject on many occasions and some folks suggested I write a book about it. (I Laughed) Oddly, I feel more comfortable talking about this subject than writing it down. Some things are better said aloud, I reckon.

 

The first draft of this article was approximately 2,500 words. It seemed a bit excessive. I trimmed the fat and now the reading time is about 5 minutes. 


You’re Welcome.

 

 

j/k

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how I wish my words would "dance onto the blank pages with unbridled delight" in the first draft, or any draft. Well, they DO if I have the right music as inspiration. Interesting thoughts, James! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I've heard you say it enough times that I kept wondering if I really understood or if there was a little deeper wisdom that would hit me later.

    ReplyDelete