Monday, September 4, 2023

A Belly Laugh


Laughter is the best medicine.

 


 
I dress for success.

                              

“Hey, Mr. Kafka.”

“What’s up, jimmy?”

“I don’t think people are laughing as much as they used to.”

“Why do you say that, jimmy?”

“Yesterday, I told a very funny story about a cow, but only half of the people laughed. The other half thought the story was offensive to cows.”

“Ah, I see where you’re going with this. Take a seat. I have a story to tell you that might help you understand.”

“Mr. Kafka, I’ve heard plenty of your stories, and I’ve never understood any of them.”

“Trust me, this one you’ll understand.”

“That’s what you always say, Mr. Kafka.”

“Hush up. Okay. When I was in the fourth grade, there was a bully that regularly picked on me. Well, one day I had enough of his antics and decided to trick him. It happened on the playground, during recess. He approached me like he always did, laughing and calling me vile names.”

“What names, Mr. Kafka?”

“Not important. He was much bigger than me, and that day he punched me in the arm so hard, I fell to the ground. But I didn’t cry. I looked at my arm – the punch made a big, nasty-looking bruise. Then, I started to laugh.”

“Laugh? Why did you laugh, Mr. Kafka?”

“jimmy, Stop asking questions and let me finish. The bully was baffled by my laughter and asked why I was laughing. I told him I was laughing because he was going to go to jail for murder. With a confused look upon his faced, he asked why. I told him I had a rare blood disorder and the bruise on my arm would cause a blood-clot, and that I would probably die very soon.”

“Well played, Mr. Kafka.”

“Thanks. So, I started acting like I was fading from this world, dramatically of course.”

“Of course, you did.”

“It worked, too. He started to cry, and screaming that he didn’t want to go to jail. All the other children started laughing at him. He fell to his knee’s and begged me not to die. I quickly stood up and kicked him squarely in the jaw. Knocked him out, too. The End.”

“That’s it? End of the story? I don’t understand the point you were trying make, like always.”

“I told you, jimmy, laughter is the best medicine.”

“Huh?”

“The medicine finally kicked in. Pun intended.”

“Congratulations, Mr. Kafka, you got me again with one of your stupid stories.”

“It’s not stupid. The moral of the story is; if you chose not to laugh when something is obviously funny, expect to get kicked in the jaw.”

“Mr. Kafka, I don’t know why I hang out with you.”

“I think you have to.”

“Yeah, well, I reckon you’re right about that one.”

 


Enjoy each day with laughter and you’ll never have a bad day.

 

-jk-

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment