Sunday, August 13, 2017

A Writers Angst


We all make mistakes, and some have a greater impact on our life than others. Learning from our mistakes or errors in judgment are supposed to prevent us from repeating the same mistake. Way too often, unfortunately, we dare to tempt fate with flawed logic – “I’ll be prudent next time and have only one drink instead of thirty?” (Hahahahahaha!)

There are only two options: You either learn from your mistakes or you just keep traipsing further down the rabbit hole. I’m the curious type, I just have to see what’s at the end no matter the consequences. Do not do what I do, I am a trained professional. (Hahahahaha!)


If this is wrong, I don't want to be right.


The following is not an attempt by me to mock a great poem, but instead, manipulate it for the sake of relevancy, and of course, humor. If anyone thinks this is disrespectful – my bad.  


Original Serenity Prayer

God, give me grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.  ~  Reinhold Niebuhr

A Writers Serenity Prayer

Oh, great blank page, grant me competence to write with elegance,
And overcome countless rewrites and modifications.
Courage to change the stuff I like even though it stinks
which should be changed,
and the wisdom to distinguish
quality over quantity.
Write even when I don’t feel like it,
Correctly pace each sentence and chapter.
Acknowledging the path to success is by means of due diligence,
And enduring, as all writers before me have,
This bizarre profession
that has little reward and a lot of painful compromising.
Knowing what I write will be worth reading
If I surrender to the acute insight of the editor
So that I may be reasonably happy when the manuscript is done
And supremely happy when a publisher accepts it.
Yes, indeed.


Punctuation is an addictive drug - use only as recommended by a trained editor.


Be an Annoying, Jumping Red Rabbit or a Passive and Gullible Blue Goblin this week.



Spreading the Love to Czechia, Poland, Netherlands, Germany, France, and Ireland.


-jk-


No comments:

Post a Comment